Are you looking for a delicious and easy appetizer that will impress your guests? Look no further than these simple yet flavorful charred carrots! With just a few ingredients and easy steps, you can create a dish that is both beautiful and tasty.
Follow a more detailed step-by-step process for this easy recipe below.
- Buy fresh small carrots with the greens attached. This makes it a great option for a grab-and-go appetizer. Fun fact: the greens are also edible.
- Chop off some of the tops, leaving about an inch of green stems.
- Clean and peel lightly, and add a pinch of salt to taste.
- In a large, wok style sauce pan (preferably with a lid) bring a shallow amount of water to boil, and boil carrots until pierceable with a fork about 5 minutes, depending on your desired crunch level.
- In a separate bowl, mix olive oil and a generous pour of the Cape Malay Curry from the African Spices Boxed Set, and a tad bit more salt. Mix Well. (If you like a bit of spice, you can add a bit of chili or peri peri flakes. Make sure to keep your choice to a simple heat so not to overtake the curry flavors).
- Remove carrots as ready and add them to the oil and spice mixture, toss until fully coated.
- Add carrots back onto a dry heat source of your choice to get a bit of a char. I like to add additional dry Cape Malay Curry at this stage to ensure a strong flavor and slight crustiness.
- Remove from heat once charred to your preference, and voila!
Serve as is, with a dash of your favorite finishing salt, or with a bit of crumbled goat cheese to top, or both— my personal favorite.
Can also then be chilled in the fridge to serve as a cold appetizer or side for BBQs or any Spring or Summer meal— so many options!
Pro tip: Pairs gorgeously with your favorite chilled, dry rose (like a Minuty).
Happy cooking... xo, Meg.
Shop all of our boxed spice set today, in our entertaining and serving collection.